GIS Technician I - Gas
At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That's right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that's proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered -yes,- then read on!
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
This position does not offer relocation assistance.
This position provides technical support to engineering and pre-construction and is the entry level position within the GIS Technician job family. The incumbent will work with supervision and carries out assignments with some latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment. Provides gas facility and mapping information to operations and other departments. Acts as a liaison with operations and outside agencies. Coordinates with outside agencies on their design plans and provides gas facility and mapping information. Reviews third party development, property plats, and design plans for conflicts with the gas system. Enters land base information into the Geographic Information System (GIS) using land plats, survey data, and/or global positioning system data.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Enter proposed main into the GIS mapping system.
- Prepare design drawings for main extensions and replacement projects.
- Gather and compile information and data for use in engineering and other tasks.
- Prepare simple right-of-way descriptions using property plats and survey data and prepare right-of-way exhibits
- Perform simple GIS spatial and data queries and analysis and creates reports from the GIS system
- Assist with corrections in the GIS mapping system.
- Maintain good record keeping of design drawings and GIS mapping
- Create new map data through digitization or by direct input of coordinate information using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales.
- Operate and maintain GIS system hardware, software, large format printer, color printer, and remote sensing devices.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Associates Degree
- High school diploma and 2+ years directly related experience; or
Other Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Directly Related Experience includes GIS Database or mapping systems, Drafting, Construction Inspection, or Survey.
- Skills: Good verbal and written communication skills, problem solving, time management, strong computer skills, math skills (including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry).
- Abilities: General ability to read civil and mechanical engineering design drawings, field notes, and surveys, quickly learn new technologies, address multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must have valid driver's license and be able to drive
- Bachelors or Associates Degree (Geography, GIS or closely related field) and 2+ years directly related experience; or
- Certificate of Proficiency in GIS from a training center, technical college, or university.
- Experience with creating and printing maps and drawings from GIS and/or CAD systems.
- Previous experience with ESRI ArcMap.
The company is actively seeking United States military veterans and service members who meet the qualifications; ranks from E3-E5, W1-W2, or O3-O6
High school diploma/GED with directly related experience
Degree or an equivalent combination of education and demonstrated related experience may be accepted in lieu of preferred level of education:
Required Degree (equivalency not accepted in lieu of required degree):
Other disciplines may be substituted for the preferred discipline(s) listed above.
Licenses, Certifications, or Quals Description
Certificate of Proficiency or Completion in GIS from an accredited institution or equivalent professional experience may be considered
Valid Driver's License
Office Work Environment 76 -100%
Travel Up to 25%
Other Working Conditions
Will be required to overtime as needed.
No Testing Required.
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company - it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Top 3 Reasons to Work at Dominion Energy
1. Great Work Life Balance
2. Generous Pay and Benefits
3. Collaborative & Inclusive Culture
About Dominion Energy
I am your warm cup of coffee in the morning and I light your home at night. I am the cool breeze from your A/C on the hottest day in summer, and the red coil that heats your soup pot on a frigid winter's day. I am sustainable, reliable and affordable.
I am not just any energy... I am Dominion Energy.
We're transforming the way we do business to build a more sustainable future for the planet, our customers, our team and our industry. We're shaping the future of energy in America.
.Headquarters: Richmond, VA
.16 states in the US
.$100 billion of assets
.Nearly $35 million in charitable contributions
.100,000+ volunteer hours recorded in the community
Nearest Major Market: Columbia
Nearest Secondary Market: South Carolina
Job Segment: Gas Technician, Gas, Technician, Geology, GIS, Energy, Technology, Engineering